Kinship and Closeness: Indigenous Shorts presented at Fairy Tales (Calgary)
Kinship and Closeness
curated by Adrienne Huard*
for Fairy Tales Film Festival + MediaQueer.ca
Tues. May 29, 7PM at
1133 Kensington Road N.W., Calgary, Alberta T2N 3P4
Kinship and Closeness is a Two-Spirit program of short films that encourages viewers to redefine borders within relationships. Through genuine demonstrations of affection and care, this program hopes to promote and highlight the necessity of kinship amongst our* nations. Through storytelling, language, intimacy, ancestral teachings and gender bending, these Two-Spirit works can begin the process of decolonizing perspectives of love, gender, sexuality and partnerships while elevating Indigenous voices and facilitating methods of healing.
These works encourage a queering of time through an Indigenous lens, allowing for a non-linear perception of time. Colonial boundaries between the past, present and future become unwoven. Alternatively, these short films flow through various representations of Indigenous culture while reclaiming agency our own bodies and minds through abstract moments in time. Join us for an intimate evening of featured works by Alethea Arnaquq-Baril, Beric Manywounds, Dayna Danger, Thirza Cuthand, and Adrian Stimson. Cuthand and Stimson will be attendance for the screening and Q&A thanks to the generous support of the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada and l’Université de Montréal.
Approximate running time: 73 minutes.
*Adrienne Huard is a Two-Spirit Anishinaabekwe currently based out of Tiohtià:ke. Her nation is Couchiching First Nations, Fort Frances, ON, and she is of Turtle clan. She recently completed her BA in art history at Concordia University and will enter the Master's program at OCAD (Toronto) in September of 2018. She is an editor in residence at Canadian Art magazine for the summer of 2018.
1. Water into Fire | Zachery Longboy | 1994 | 11:00 minutes
2. Aviliaq: Entwined | Alethea Arnaquq-Baril | 2014 | 15:00 minutes
3. Paskwâw Mostos Iskwêsis (Buffalo Girl) | Howard Adler, Candy Renae Fox, Leo Koziol | 2017 | 4:08 minutes | English and Cree
4. Buffalo Boy: Don’t Look East | Adrian Stimson | 2012 | 7:03
5. Bebeschwendaam | Dayna Danger | 2017 | 5 minutes
6. Tsanizid (Wake Up) | Beric Manywounds | 2017 | 6:09 minutes
7. Future Nation | Kent Monkman | 2005 | 16:27 minutes
8. 2 Spirit Dreamcatcher Dot Com | Thirza Cuthand | 2017 | 4:56 minutes